Sunday, January 27, 2013

Literary Litany


To my mother:

You are the strength and the kindness,
the loving and the caring.
You are the most outstanding
and the wise.
You are the happiness,
and the love.

However, you are not evil,
viscous,
or ungrateful.
And you are certainly not needy.
There is just no way that you are selfish.

It is possible that you are willing,
maybe even hard working,
but you are not even close
to being lazy.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither complicated 
nor difficult

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I look up to you.

I also happen to be willing,
giving
and compassionate.

I am also the focused
and the determined.
But don't worry, I'm not the strength and the kindness.
You are still the strength and the kindness.
You will always be the strength and the kindness,
not to mention the loving and--somehow--the caring.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I'd say the main difference between your imitation and the Bill Collins original is that yours doesn't make use of figurative language (comparison). Instead, you tend toward abstraction (willing, giving, compassionate, etc). I'd love to see comparisons. Often, they reveal more about a relationship and the poet than words like strength, kindness, loving, and caring.

    ReplyDelete